Andre and co have nearly finished painting the outside. From this –
to this –
and you can see even the clivias are blooming with happiness :-)
A quick view of the front, pre-garden reshaping and paving:
And an entirely gratuitous pic of the cross-stitch butterflies I did many years ago to fit an old fire-screen of my grandmother’s. This emerged from the depths of the garage at Moving Time, and I’ve become fond of it all over again. Fire-screen not needed, and legs were always wonky anyway, so it might find itself up on a wall sometime soon.
Turns out that waiting for plaster walls to dry out thoroughly is terribly boring. Can’t make progress in bathroom or bedroom until they’re good and ready, so I’ve been painting some wooden furniture in the meantime and am about to embark on the wooden window frames. So, nothing to show you today. EXCEPT for New Blanket, which I begun about five years ago and then somehow abandoned….
I crochet while I work my way through all four seasons of House of Cards. I’m in love with Kevin Spacey. I always was and I always will be.
Something else that’s been occupying my thoughts while in renovation limbo: a BMW GS 1200. I’m not going to say any more about it right now, except that it looks like I’m going to need my own helmet…
You’d be forgiven for thinking I’m not getting much sewing or crochet done lately, because I’m not. I am consumed with Affairs of House.
My house is a kaleidoscope of colours: bright pink and royal blue, with an emerald green roof, and lime green and grey trim. It is a rainbow of a house. It will never get run over when it’s crossing the road. Even Leonard, above, drinking his coffee perched on the edge of a turquoise ceramic pot, thinks it will look better in more subdued shades. Below is a section of the back and side of the house, in the early stages of having the cracks and odd bits sorted out.
The front has now been cleaned and primed – already it looks so different!!:
The painting crew has packed up a bit early on this beautiful almost-spring Friday, and so Monday will be when the real tarting-up starts to happen :-)
My en suite is about 92% finished – the remaining 8% is scheduled for early next week. It’s the more exciting stuff, like picking out a new linen basket and having shelves put up. I might throw a little party in there when it’s finally complete…
It’s been a bigger and far messier job than I’d anticipated, but progress is definitely being made:
An unforeseen problem with convoluted water pipes has forced a couple of changes from the original plan, and Anwar has had to pop out quickly for different taps. I’ve been to Plumb Crazy twice in the last couple of days and I’ll be happy to never see the inside of it ever again so I was delighted when he offered to go, prompted no doubt by my wretched expression. Bathroom fittings do not excite me in any way.
You will notice the very pretty handpainted tiles (above the toilet) that were a gift to the previous owner from her sister-in-law, on a trip to Portugal, so I’m happy that we’ll be able to leave them intact.
Another unforeseen problem was the self-removal (!!) of huge chunks of plaster from the adjacent wall, when the new doorway was being banged out. Luckily Anwar’s crew can turn their hand to a range of jobs, so the wall was replastered and skimmed almost immediately.
And when I saw how nice that wall was going to look, I asked Maanie to do the whole room. Luckily the sun is shining, so it shouldn’t take more than three days to dry out properly.
It started small, with some neat chipping and chopping….
then it grew…
and some more…
…and there will clearly be no bit of peaceful shut-eye for me this fine Tuesday afternoon…
So, my bedroom desperately needs a facelift. It will have to wait a good while, however, because nothing pretty can be done until (1) the penetrative damp from outside has been dealt with, (2) the bathroom next door has been made into an en suite, and (3) the walls have been replastered and treated. Oh yes, and the floor needs sanding and polishing. Sigh.
A quick and colourful stopgap was required. And if it cost next to nothing, even better :-)
I chopped up an old cotton tablecloth that I’d paid R20 for at the charity shop, and used up some of the leftovers that Suzette gives me when she’s finished making her cushions, (bags and boxes of the stuff, I tell you! I love riffling through them….) to make what I think is best called a coverlet. It’s not a quilt, obviously, ‘counterpane’ is too Victorian, and ‘bedspread’ seems a step too far for a random patchworky piece of fabric with an old cotton sheet used for backing.
Not sure if this qualifies for Kate’s ScrapHappy, because those clever quilting ladies make very beautiful fabrics from teeny morsels of left-overs, but Kate can let me know :-)
Thanks to Jan over at the Snail of Happiness for her brilliant tip on how to clean a thousand years’ worth of dirt and tarnish off brass. [Half a cup of vinegar with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it, then enough flour chucked in to make a nice mushy paste; smear on, leave for 10 minutes, clean off.] It’s a messy job and I found I still needed to use a bit of Brasso afterwards for extra polish, but here’s the almost-finished result:
The nasty crusty outer layer of gunge just wiped clean — THANK YOU JAN :-)
What has now been revealed are that some parts of the fitting are solid brass and some are a different metal (some copper, some steel) that have been brass-plated. I don’t care at all, now that it’s all clean and shiny. What I do care about is that I took it all apart with great enthusiasm and am now finding it tricky to put back together!!!
Also, I’ve been working on a new logo, with the help of a designer from Fiverr, and am pretty happy with the end result. I love it when money is well spent. Especially my own!