Ever since I saw Kate Pruitt’s wonderful project http://www.designsponge.com/2012/03/diy-project-sculptural-paper-orb-lights.html I have wanted to make one. Not only does it look gorgeous, but something new was sorely needed in my lounge. This is what has been up for the last 7.5 years (and, yes, I do know that two bulbs are missing):
When I moved into my flat, I was stony broke (there’s really no other way to put it) and had nothing to spare for niceties, so I was delighted to find this old fitting forgotten and abandoned at the back of the garage. I dusted it off, sprayed it copper and asked the handyman to put it up.
Time for a change. I needed a paper ball, a glue gun, and a thousand cupcake papers:
It was all going well until I decided that my light needed more oomph, something with a bit of colour and sparkle. I just can’t help it – like an Indian mynah, I’m attracted to bright shiny things. I scurried off to my stash of stuff that I buy just in case I’ll ever need them one day, and found a whole lot of green and white paper roses, and some orange and red ribbony flowers from a Chinese garland. Have gun, will glue.
Not being much of a planner, I made no effort to work out how many flowery fillings I would need to fill all the cases. So, less than halfway through I ran out, to my not entirely unexpected dismay, but luckily the Chinese shops in Woodstock are always open on a Sunday so I rushed off there this morning and riffled through the fake blooms til I found more of the same. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t, but no doubt would still not have learnt my lesson about planning ahead.
Anyway, it’s done now and, all thanks to Rob for sorting out the hardware and the wiring side of things, my light is up and glowing!
It looks a bit eerie all on its own in the dark, but I’m quite pleased with my effort. Rob calls it the Moon Flower.
To be continued…