Now who could resist checking out a blog called Popsicles and Pinatas?! Two gorgeous American sisters keep this going with the kind of exuberance and natural energy that I only briefly experienced in my early 20s. Now, in my autumn years, sometimes I just get tired when I read about all the fun and glamour that’s going on out there….but I can dream!
Anyhow, these girls have nominated me for the Liebster Award, please see here: Popsicles and Pinatas, and who am I to kick an award horse in the mouth? I’m very touched, Michelle and Melissa, you are kind and generous and have such discerning taste … :) xxx
I have also seen this logo for the Liebster:
so I’m going to be greedy and use them both!
Here’s what I have to do:
When I receive the award, I post 11 random facts about myself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated me:
* I have always hated my upper arms and very very seldom go sleeveless.
* The older I get, the less I care about my upper arms.
* I think I will go out and buy a new sleeveless top today.
* I once ate a prawn that had been sent to me in the mail from Johannesburg. It took three days to reach me, and it made me very sick.
* I broke one of my mother’s dining room chairs just by sitting on it, a few years ago. She has never let me forget that. But those chairs were hideous, so I’m glad I broke one.
* I have never tried recreational drugs except for a couple of joints in my youth. I hated the effect – first I got stupidly funny, then I got starvingly hungry, then I got cripplingly tired. I’m pretty much like that now naturally, anyway. I guess some people would see that as a bonus.
* I registered at the University of the Witwatersrand after school but dropped out before 2nd-year mid-year exams. I was a teenage drop-out!
* I went back to university when I was in my mid-20s, to study literature and anthropology and history. Cool stuff, but I don’t remember much of it now; apparently I ended up with a Master’s degree.
* I like Locnville. Yes, I know they are pretty teen boys from the southern suburbs of Cape Town and most of their stuff is electronic and/or derivative. But I can’t help it, I just like them. They make me laugh.
* I don’t like very salty food, like anchovies, and never let them near my pizzas or pasta.
* I very much want to travel to India and immerse myself in the gorgeous glitzy shiny textiles and decorations and designs that I see. But I do not want to use a long drop – I find the notion of toilet infinity just too freaky.
Okay, now I answer 11 questions (this is starting to feel like a job interview):
1. What are you most proud of? My daughter. She’s like me but better.
2. What makes you happy? When someone wants to buy something I’ve made. When I get into bed at the end of the day with my current book and a warm cat comes and lies on top of me. When Rob takes me out for sushi. When my daughter hugs me. When I find money in the street.
3. What is your most prized possession? My home.
4. What are you afraid of? That I or someone I love becomes a victim of crime.
5. Why do you blog? Work avoidance.
6. How would you describe your style? I’m not sure I have any kind of consistent or consolidated style! Sometimes I just go for what is clean and at the front of my cupboard, other days I remember to accessorise and use lipstick. Eclectic? Hit and miss?
7. What are you most grateful for? Too many things to mention. I have far too much to be grateful for. I live in a state of gratefulness.
8. What is the best book you have ever read? Impossible question. They are all good – even the bad ones, because they make the good ones even better by comparison. Plus they can be used as door stops.
9. What food do you hate? Anchovies. Old prawns. Tripe. White sauce. Polony (which I don’t think actually IS a food).
10. What is your favorite “guilty pleasure” aka “super dorky” song? I refuse to answer that on the grounds that someone may use the answer against me later.
11. What is your favorite holiday? A week in Sedgefield with Rob.
Nominate 11 blogs: at first I thought, What – eleven??? But already I’ve run out of numbers. These are just some of the blogs that are my favourites, there are many others written by clever, crafty, creative people!
Now I inform the above 11 bloggers that I think they are fabuloso, and come up with 11 questions for them. The thought of which exhausts me, so please answer the same 11 questions that I had to (see above). They are perfectly good questions so I don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel.
NB: I am not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated me, and I am only to choose blogs with 200 or less followers. I hope I’ve got this last bit right (but if I haven’t, what are they gonna do? – stand me against a wall and shoot me? Strip me of my Liebster award?…ho ho no, I don’t think so).
Popsicles and Pinatas latest post is about making Harry Potter bookends. Man, I get so TWISTED UP INSIDE when someone comes up with a better idea than I ever have…. :-)
To be continued…