WordPress has just wished me a happy birthday – I’ve been doing this for seven years. With my history, that qualifies as a pretty long relationship! No itch is registering, I’m just going through a sort of interval period. Since the Christmas markets ended, I’ve been catching up on things around the house and garden that have needed attention, and given myself lots of time off for embroidery, reading, snoozing, resting, shopping, personal sewing, etc.
Patio stuff: recovered the cushions on Philip’s old wicker chairs, sorted out my cuttings, hung up hanging baskets, general tidy-up:
Treated myself to some new indoor plants:
Hung a sweet little hanging shelf thing over the mantelpiece for the Angel Wings to rest on, and stitched a tiny William Morris design for the rustic frame I got on sale for R100 in Kleinmond:
I’m still working on the large cross-stitch design that I started about 13 years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the designer, I’ll have to go back to the library and see if the book is still there.
It’s nearly finished and, once it is, it’ll be time to get down to some proper work. I have a Big Plan for the coming year, watch this space.
Happy 2019 to all of you! I hope it will be filled with as much creativity, satisfaction, energy and contentment as you can handle :)
My little denim market bag has become old and shabby. I need to have room for cash, cell phone and parking ticket – three things you never want to lose touch with when you’re busy and distracted at a market. I also like to wear it as a crossbody because it’s too easy for it to slip off if it’s just over one shoulder. Goodbye, tired old friend.
Hello, sweet and pretty new patchwork buddy!
Except for the blue lace, these bits were all leftovers from cushions and bedspreads. The back is old denim from a pair of jeans that are happily now far too big for me to wear, with an extra pocket for luck.
Have a look at other ScrapHappy stories, all inspired by Kate at Tall Tales from Chiconia
one crummy yet very comfortable cane and wicker chair
two coats of grey matte acrylic paint and new patchworky-ish seat cover
Done. Many more things lined up for revamping but it seems I only have enough energy to deal with one a week. Not going to get very far before Christmas….!
After the success with this one, I moved on to the four dining chairs with drop-in seats (the two chairs that go at each end of the table are made in a different style but the seats didn’t need recovering anyway). They have/had pretty needlepoint seat covers but they’re getting shabby, plus I was still looking for things to STAPLE with the GUN.
An aside: I decided not to remove the original needlepoint covers before recovering with the patchwork, although this is obviously what a professional would have done. There may be a time when these chairs will go and live somewhere else, in which case my fabric can easily be removed. There’s no way that undeserving people will get to enjoy my pretty patchwork stripes and labour (long story, beyond the scope of this blog post)…
I know I shouldn’t boast but I really really love how these turned out :)
When you’re always so busy making stuff to sell, sometimes it feels like pure indulgence to spend time making something for your very own self. That’s how it is for me, at least.
Sorting out the things that got shoved into the spare bedroom, I unearthed this old teak chair that used to be in my shop. Inspired by ideas on pinterest, I gave it a quick make-over with some patchwork squares and a staple gun. Honestly, it took me less than 45 minutes to sew and recover the seat. Great satisfaction!
PS. So many of you have sent me personal emails lately – thank you. Even if I haven’t replied to each one, please know that they have all been read with gratitude and have touched my heart.
I’ve been in neutral for what feels like a long time now but am slowly getting back into gear – first gear still, but moving up to second… I’m sure eventually I’ll be back to normal, or at least whatever passes for normal with me :)
I came across a round cushion I’d made ages ago from left-over bits of fabric that never really worked: the diameter was completely off, it was too small and, once stuffed, it was like a rugby ball. I still like the colours so decided to unpick the whole thing and figure out a way to make it bigger. I wanted to somehow drop it into a bigger piece of fabric but without having to applique the edges. I gave it some thought and also checked on the internet to make sure I was heading in the right direction: this tutorial by Angela Pingel helped a lot. It’ll now become a cushion about 45cm square, a goodly size. The background fabric isn’t technically a scrap but I’m sure the patchwork pie will count as “scraphappy”!
I’ve been inspired to write this by Kate, who provides links to other ScrapHappy bloggers at Tall Tales from Chiconia on the fifteenth of every month. It’s a marvellous nudge to creativity to see what other people do with their imaginations and sewing skills.
My recent post from facebook, for my bloggy and/or non-facebook friends, in case you’re wondering why I’ve been so quiet lately.
Treasure the time you have with the people you love, those memories will help to sustain you through your grief. xxx