The second-last room that needs tackling is Bathroom #3. It has one of those awful jacuzzi-type baths and a few shelves, so those always got used just for storage. Not only did the spurty bits in the bath that are for “massage” never work anyway (previous owner had informed us of this), but no-one baths in the Western Cape any longer. Baths are for drought-free areas. I limit my shower time to 60 seconds these days, and even then I feel guilty about using the water.
I think I can safely say this will be a relatively straightforward job. It will be undertaken this morning, after I’ve nipped out for groceries and before I meet a friend for lunch to wish her a belated happy birthday. Have energy = get lots done! Long may it last!
Oh, also – in my recent unearthings, I found this:
…a cross-stitch kit that my ex-mother-in-law bought for me on a visit to Australia over twenty years ago. Looks like I even managed two-thirds of it. I think it’s rather pretty, and perhaps it won’t take long to complete. Famous last words….
You’d be forgiven for thinking I’m not getting much sewing or crochet done lately, because I’m not. I am consumed with Affairs of House.
My house is a kaleidoscope of colours: bright pink and royal blue, with an emerald green roof, and lime green and grey trim. It is a rainbow of a house. It will never get run over when it’s crossing the road. Even Leonard, above, drinking his coffee perched on the edge of a turquoise ceramic pot, thinks it will look better in more subdued shades. Below is a section of the back and side of the house, in the early stages of having the cracks and odd bits sorted out.
The front has now been cleaned and primed – already it looks so different!!:
The painting crew has packed up a bit early on this beautiful almost-spring Friday, and so Monday will be when the real tarting-up starts to happen :-)
My en suite is about 92% finished – the remaining 8% is scheduled for early next week. It’s the more exciting stuff, like picking out a new linen basket and having shelves put up. I might throw a little party in there when it’s finally complete…
It’s been a bigger and far messier job than I’d anticipated, but progress is definitely being made:
An unforeseen problem with convoluted water pipes has forced a couple of changes from the original plan, and Anwar has had to pop out quickly for different taps. I’ve been to Plumb Crazy twice in the last couple of days and I’ll be happy to never see the inside of it ever again so I was delighted when he offered to go, prompted no doubt by my wretched expression. Bathroom fittings do not excite me in any way.
You will notice the very pretty handpainted tiles (above the toilet) that were a gift to the previous owner from her sister-in-law, on a trip to Portugal, so I’m happy that we’ll be able to leave them intact.
Another unforeseen problem was the self-removal (!!) of huge chunks of plaster from the adjacent wall, when the new doorway was being banged out. Luckily Anwar’s crew can turn their hand to a range of jobs, so the wall was replastered and skimmed almost immediately.
And when I saw how nice that wall was going to look, I asked Maanie to do the whole room. Luckily the sun is shining, so it shouldn’t take more than three days to dry out properly.
It started small, with some neat chipping and chopping….
then it grew…
and some more…
…and there will clearly be no bit of peaceful shut-eye for me this fine Tuesday afternoon…
Over eight years ago (or 96 moons…or 416 weekends…or 2816 days..!!!) I was struck with the brilliance of the idea of mosaicing a large part of my bathroom wall. I got someone in to carefully remove the old tiles, and then I got to work. I was passionate about it – for at least two months. I tested different kinds of tile adhesive, found new tile retailers, gleaned inspiration from books, ruined my hands with the tile nippers and bits of broken glass… Then I got over it. Then years passed. Then I sold my flat.
This is the state of the mosaic when the (now) new owner put in his offer to purchase. I had expected that he wouldn’t have the slightest interest in it, and would probably even renovate the bathroom entirely (it’s a bit dated, and new owners like to do that kind of thing).
I was wrong. Philip loved the mosaic and, in a most complimentary and encouraging fashion, even included a clause in the Deed of Sale whereby I would complete “the work” before the occupation date. To which I had to agree if I wanted the sale.
Shit. You know me and deadlines. But sometimes even I surprise myself! Philip moves in on Monday (it’s Saturday here now), and here is the progress I’ve made:
About 2.5% of the total remains to be tiled, and then tomorrow morning I’ll get busy with the grout. It’s going to be lovely, and of course intensely ironic – only my daughter appreciated the fact that I have managed to complete a big project after a very long time, for someone else’s bathtime enjoyment….