I already had a frame for my finished cross-stitch but no glass. I went to Peacocks in Mowbray last week and had a piece cut to fit. It cost me R80. Today I fiddled around with getting the fabric aligned properly and thought what a brilliant idea it would be to use a staple gun to keep the folded-over corners flat at the back. So, yes, it worked – but it also caused the glass to break. Anyone else would have thought of that before they just jumped in, right? Tomorrow – back to Peacocks to cough up another R80. What a waste of money – I could have bought two bottles of cheap dry white for that!
I’ve made a bit of progress with the new cross-stitch, and am really really enjoying using my own selection of colours. I get to use up stash thread and just generally have more fun with the whole thing :
And while we’re on colour, I had to stock up on cushion stuffing this morning. This bolt of fabric from riiiiiiiight on the far side of the shop starting singing my name, and I didn’t even bother to pretend not to listen. I should get three or four cushions out of it, just in time for next week’s Made in the Cape market (the first one of 2019). It’ll be interesting to see if they sell, or if it’s just me thinking Ohmigod I love this and must have it in my house!!!
And here’s a gratuitous photo for Rachel in her Little Room – a close-up of the bottom row of the bookshelf that appeared in my last post. Nice mix, hey? – needlepoint, Ruth Rendell, some South African stuff, the incredibly funny Carl Hiaasen, even a bit of Salman Rushdie!
I was very disappointed to discover that the grey-water system in the new house only links to two bathrooms (one of which is seldom used). I couldn’t understand why so little water was coming out every day, as the washing machines (yes, two of them!) are in near-constant use, and also a hell of a lot of washing-up gets done around here. (Don’t look at me, and don’t ask. Just don’t).
So, under even tighter water restrictions, Rob fiddled around with some of the water outlet pipes and we now have an efficient – albeit rudimentary – “system”, involving lots of different-sized buckets carefully positioned over various drains. Twice a day, I decant from the bigger buckets into smaller buckets and go staggering round the garden with them trying to keep the plants alive. It’s very bad timing to have tendonitis in my right arm but how can you not use your right arm ffs, so I keep on regardless.
I don’t know how I got started on this, actually, but clearly I am obsessed with trying to get my garden growing the way I want it!! — I was planning to show you Ruth’s bedspread, which still needs a backing but will be ready in time for the market on Saturday.
She asked for shocking pink and navy, with a lighter blue and some grey here and there. I didn’t have anything useable in bright pink, so bought 2 metres of mediumweight linen and spread it out over the kitchen counter to break the solidity of it with some printing in whites and grey.
She’s also asked to make some little fabric containers – I guess something like this (found here), so I’ll have some fun playing around with that idea today.
I’m getting all patchworky. And I’m blaming Kate. My first two bedspreads were large irregular squares and rectangles and some strips. Nice, she said, but try cutting smaller squares because then you can fit in more contrasting fabrics. And what do you know, I’m hooked!
Side one and side two of a bright reddy-orangey mix, four strips of 10 squares each so far. I’ve opted for 10-inch squares because it seems like a manageable size. Not too big, not too small. Yay for the rotary cutter and cutting mat. If the house started burning down, they are now the first two items I would grab. (Sorry, cats.)
Maggie asks if I will be quilting the bedspread. It’s a short answer – No. There will be no batting and no fancy-pants stitching designs. There will be a lightweight cotton backing and topstitching round the edge. I know my limits!
I enjoyed playing around with those bits of left-over fabric more than I realised. And when it comes to enjoyable sewing, nothing beats the simplicity of straight lines. Someone I knew would have called it donkey work, in which case I’m having an Eeyore week.
The colours don’t show up that well in the pics, but they are a gorgeous mix of blues and creams and teals and greys and browns.
I like random, so I’ll never be one of those clever quilting ladies whose exquisitely thought-out fabric mosaics I admire so much! But I still felt I deserved a rotary cutter and a proper cutting mat – an early birthday present to myself :-) My squares are so much squarer now!
…fedoras and fabric. I’ve found it’s possible to stitch bias binding around the edge of the brim (very very carefully and slowly, with Gemsy), and I think it’s worth the effort.
I think I’ll wear one of these when I nip down to Pick n Pay later for my supplies – see if I can draw a response from anyone. I tried that a while back with a very over-the-top pixie hat, was expecting to be fallen on by hundreds of people braying with excitement and desire… Not one. Not a single one. I even lurked longer in the chocolate aisle, hoping to give similar-minded customers the opportunity to see the hat. Still nothing. I hummed round the dairy section, flicking my head around a bit, pretending to be deliberating over the ricotta. Nada. Knocked the wind right out of my sails. But today – today we try again !